Tuesday, May 20

What she should expect

Hello All and Welcome to HRC+HBCU’s New Blog!

I have many hopes and goals for our new blog. Essentially, this blog will give you the news, events, information, and causes important to us. I anticipate, however, that this blog will do and create much more. While browsing the internet, I noticed a lack of virtual communities dedicated to us – young, gifted, queer, and Black students and recent alum. A basic Google search would imply that we are an invisible group – layered minorities with hopes of acceptance that do not coincide well with our brothers and sisters in the Black community as well as dreams of equality that have often been overlooked by those in the gay community. I believe this to be a small step toward our much-needed recognition. I am optimistic that this blog will offer a convenient community - a place where we can commiserate each of our fears and validate each of our celebrations. Whether it is to vent or to praise, to deconstruct or to create, I, along with others at the Human Rights Campaign, am happy for the opportunity to share it with all of you.

1 comment:

Keith Jones said...

Well I just want to offer congratulations to the graduating class of 2008! It is important that we as LGBT people makes strides in education and our field of choice.
Also I love the pics!